Marriage License/Certificate

Vital Records can be ordered from:

State Vital Records Office

Marriage License

The fee for marriage licenses is $50.00 cash or money order. Both parties must be present in order to apply for the license. You must have either a valid passport, current motor vehicle ID issued by DMV or State ID issued by DMV, and your social security card. You must be at least 18 years of age to apply. 

Applications for marriages taking place in the city limits of New Haven are processed Monday-Friday 9 AM-3.30 PM.  If you would like to have your ceremony in City Hall a Justice of the Peace is available for a fee of $80.00 payable in cash. Marriages in City Hall are performed between the hours of 9:00 AM -3:30 PM Monday through Friday.

Download Application Form for Marriage License
Download Application Form for Marriage License (Spanish) 

Marriage Certificates

The fee is $20.00 per copy, cash or money order. These certificates are open to the public. When applying for copies of these certificates, you must show proper ID (see above).

Download Application Form for Marriage Certificate
Download Application Form for Marriage Certificate (Spanish) 

Applying for a Certificate by Mail
If you are applying for a certificate by mail, you must send a letter stating what type of certificate you are requesting as well as the required identification or download & print the proper application for what you are requesting. A daytime telephone number is also required, along with a return address.  Include a money order for the amount of your request made out to Vital Statistics. We do not accept personal checks or cash for mail requests.

Our mail usually takes 4-6 weeks to process. If you need your document sooner, you may use the postal overnight service, which we receive & process the same day. If you want your correspondence returned overnight, you must provide a pre-paid envelope filled out with the correct return address.

To receive any certificate from the office of Vital Statistics, an individual must have proper identification. Acceptable forms of identification (ID) include:

  • Current State ID issued by DMV;
  • Current motor vehicle ID issued by the State DMV (with the correct address);
  • A valid passport. (copy of page with photo and expiration date listed)
  • Current Military ID

Alternative ID
If you do not have any of this information, you will need any two of the following documents:

You need 2 of the following;

  • Social Security Card
  • Medical Insurance Card
  • Current utility bill showing name and address
  • Voter’s Registration Card
  • Car Registration showing your name and address

You will also need to know the following information

  • Names of the bride(s) and/or groom(s);
  • Bride’s maiden name;
  • Date of Marriage

All fees for documents are payable by cash in the office or money order in the mail.  Money orders should be made payable to Vital Statistics.