Elm City Resident Card

Office Hours Open to the Public

Monday – Friday 9:00 am – 5:00 pm

Information and Instructions

Applicants must apply in person to the Office of Vital Statistics at City Hall, 165 Church Street, 1st floor from 9:30 to 4:30 Monday through Friday.

To obtain a resident card, the applicant must present acceptable identification, provide proof of residency and pay a fee ($10 for adults and $5 for children 16 and under.)

Acceptable identification includes:

SECTION A: MUST PROVIDE ONE of the following VALID documents:

  • Passport;
  • U.S. Driver’s License
  • Consular ID Card
  • U.S. or foreign Military Identification Card (with original birth certificate)

OR TWO of the following documents:

  • National Identification Card (must have photo, name, address, date of birth and expiration date)
  • Foreign Driver’s License (current-NOT expired)
  • Visa (current)
  • ITN Card (must be accompanied by an ID with a photograph)


SECTION B: MUST PROVIDE TWO of the following documents dated within the last 90 days:  

  • Utility bill with name and address
  • Insurance bill
  • Bank statement
  • Employment pay stub
  • Voter registration card
  • Original documents from a health or social services organization attesting to the fact that the applicant is a New Have resident.

Proof of residency must have name and address of applicant. Residency documents with only one name will only be accepted for married couples if an original marriage certificate is presented.

If the applicant is under 16 years of age, the parent can apply with the documents listed above as well as the child’s birth certificate and proof of school enrollment.

Click here to download the application form.